Introduction

I have a confession, folks: From approximately 1999 to 2008, I was a card-carrying, Faygo-swilling Juggalo. I am not proud of this fact, although it did lead to some good things in my life. I never would have met my closest friend for something like fifteen years now if it weren't for our shared fascination with vulgar clown-themed rap, for example.

Recently, I've been listening to a podcast in which the two hosts listen to the works of Insane Clown Posse for the first time and give their (often incredulous) thoughts. As a refresher, I've been "playing along" and revisiting these albums myself. It got me thinking about what drew me to ICP and its associated acts and culture in the first place, and why I distanced myself from them ten years ago.

        This then lead to me thinking about starting a blog in which I break down my own thoughts about the albums with which I was once so obsessed. Not reviews, per se, as I can't objectively review albums that all but defined a decade of my life. What I want to do is look at each release track by track and sort of compare and contrast what they meant to me then versus how I look at them now, and ultimately draw an educated conclusion about the artistic merits of acts like ICP, Twiztid, and the like.

While I'll certainly touch on the subject now and again, obviously, what this blog won't be is yet another examination of Juggalo culture. That has been done, and done by far more accomplished writers than myself. I'm more interested in looking at the actual music and the people behind it, and how it affected me personally.

               So let's dust off the hatchet, shall we? There's a lot to cover.

Comments

Popular Posts